International Undergraduate Program in Automation
College of Control Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University
1. Program Overview
Founded in 1897, Zhejiang University (ZJU) is one of China’s oldest and most prestigious institutions of higher education. Laying claim to several areas of research strength, ZJU currently ranks among the top three on Chinese mainland. In 2019, a year of milestone significance, ZJU ranks 54th in QS World University Rankings and 6th in QS Asia's Best Universities for 2020. The engineering programs of Zhejiang University ranked 4th in the World Best Global Universities Rankings published by US News & World Report in 2016.
The major of Automation at ZJU can be traced back to 1956. The Department of Control Science & Engineering (or CSE, renamed as the College of CSE in 2012) was established in 1993, which hosts of the Automation undergraduate major since then. For more than 60 years, ZJU’s Automation discipline has established a well-organized framework which leverages fundamental research and industrial applications as well as technological commercialization. It has played a unique role in the development of industrial automation of China manufacturing, especially the process industry. In the information-rich era, the emphasis of Automation has been extended to more important areas besides industrial automation, including Industrial Intelligence & Optimization Control, Smart Sensing & Instrumentation, Robotics & Intelligent Unmanned Systems, Cyber Security of Control Systems.
Currently, the CSE is one of the most prestigious research and education bases in the area of industrial process control in China. In 2017, the CSE has been selected for the national Double First-class Initiative and graded as a national A+ discipline (ONLY 3 universities overall in China) in the national assessment.
The CSE’s core areas of research include:
Industrial Intelligence and Optimization Control
Industrial Big Data, Knowledge Automation, Large-scale System Optimization, Distributed Coordinated Control, Intelligent Manufacturing, Smart Factory, etc.
Robotics and Intelligent Unmanned Systems
Perception, Planning, Control, Coordination, Learning and Decision, etc.
Cyber Security and Safety for Industrial Control Systems
Cyber Security, Industrial Internet Security, Networking Security, Intrusion Detection and Evaluation, Security Protection and Defense, Fault Diagnosis and Health Management, Safety Management & Assessment, Industrial Safety & Security Protocol, Cryptography and Security Algorithms, etc.
Smart Sensing and Measurement
Intelligent Perception, Biology Perception, Intelligence Evaluation and Early Warning, Highly Adaptable Optical Detection, High-precision Microfluidic Analysis, Micro-nano Detection Technology and Instrument, Quantum Perception, Quantum Computing and Measurement and Control, etc.
A number of national and international research labs and centers are instituted within the CSE.
· Institute of Industrial Process Control
· Institute of Smart Sensing and Measurement
· Institute of Cyber-Systems and Control
National Research Labs/Centers
· The State Key Laboratory of Industrial Control Technology
· The National Engineering Research Center for Industrial Automation
· The National Engineering Lab of Industrial Control System Security Technology
· The National International-Joint Research Centre of Quality-targeted Process Optimization and Control
Overseas Academician Joint Lab
· Control System and Security
· Intelligent Robotics
By 2019, there are 131 faculty members with 48 full professors and research fellows in the braod area of Automation, and more than 400 registered undergraduates, 672 students pursuing Master Degree and Ph.D. Degree.
2. Program Characteristics
The Undergraduate Program in Automation adopts “3+1” mode, i.e., students would spend the first three years studying at the International Campus, Zhejiang University (Haining, Zhejiang) to finish the foundational courses. In the fourth year, students would move to Yuquan Campus, Zhejiang University (Hangzhou, Zhejiang) to complete the final-year project and other required courses.
This program encourages students to develop broad outlooks and allows them to take subjects in related technical fields, such as Sensor and Instrumentation, Big Data Security and Privacy Preserving, Computer Systems Engineering, Data Structure, Computer Security, Artificial Intelligence, or Introduction to Robotics. This program also allows students to take a combination of subjects that lead to specialization options in Control Science and Engineering, Big Data and Artificial Intelligence or Robotics and Intelligent Manufacturing. The International Joint Research Centre, global top tertiary institutions/partners, and distinguished faculty with overseas experiences provide rich faculty resources for program students.
Student learning is supplemented by a variety of laboratory, training and project activities. Students also develop scientific research and problem-solving skills through the final-year project under the guidance of eminent supervisors. Seminars, industrial visits and overseas study tours are also available to broaden students' horizons. A plenty of academic pathways and opportunities to outstanding graduates will be provided to the students, leading them to worldwide top universities as well as ZJU postgraduate program.
3. Program Aims & Learning Outcomes
This program is an ideal choice for those who wish to pursue studies in Industrial Automation, System Control, and Robotics. It addresses latest technologies and their applications in control science and engineering, enabling students to explore new technology innovations to serve social demands.
This program is designed to provide students with sound personality, consolidated knowledge of natural science as well as overall capacity of humanity and social science.
Students are expected to acquire:
· consolidated fundamental theory, specialized knowledge and technology of automation and related fields;
· ability to propose questions and solve problems in automation and related fields;
· capability to track and develop new theory, knowledge and technologies in automation and related fields;
· good ability in independent work and lifelong learning;
· good ability in communication and teamwork;
· good international perspective, innovative spirit, and worldwide competitiveness in automation and related fields.
This program curriculum is sophistically designed in terms of courses, labs, research trainings and internships. All the courses are instructed in the medium of English (Chinese language courses are excluded).
The 4-year curriculum focuses on principles and methods for designing and controlling engineered and natural systems, covering all the major aspects of control engineering, systems modeling and simulation, with applications ranging from classical control system design to optimal adaptive and intelligent control systems. It also emphasizes the multidisciplinary character of the field and specific areas of interest including automation technology, instrument technology, information technology, computer technology and robotic technology.
Students complete the first year of fundamental studies within the broadening engineering discipline, with a focus on underpinning subjects (such as Science and Mathematics), Languages (English Composition and Chinese), and General Education Electives. The Chinese language courses and the course of Survey of China include basic linguistics, Chinese modern history, social development, government policies, etc., which not only help international students to get used to Chinese society in a short time but also prepare them for future endeavors in China after graduation.
In Year 2, curriculum focuses on the fundamentals of engineering. A series of Technical Core and Elective subjects are involved at this stage, including System Modeling and Simulation, Computer System & Programming, Analog Signal Processing, Discrete Structure and Data Structure.
The Year 3 curriculum attaches great importance to compulsory core subjects in Automation, Control Science and Labs. The focus is on consolidating the fundamentals, teamwork and laboratory experiments.
Students take advanced Elective subjects and carry out final-year project at Yuquan campus in the 4th year. The final-year project provides a comprehensive learning experience in automation engineering technology, problem-solving techniques and creative thinking. Depending on individual career aspirations and specialization, students can choose from a list of electives and project topics to complement their knowledge in various areas of automatic engineering.
List of Specialized Technical Core/Elective Courses*
· Lectures on Frontier Automation
· Intro to Automation
· Principles of Automatic Control
· System Modeling and Simulation
· Process Control
· Stochastic Control System
· Sensor and Instrumentation
· Location Technology and Spatial Information Mining
· Big Data Security and Privacy Preserving
· Computer Systems Engineering
· Data Structure
· Computer Security
· Artificial Intelligence
· Introduction to Robotics
* May vary according to availability.
5. Recognition & Prospects
List of International Competition Rewards Received by Automation Undergraduates
· 2013, 2014, 2018, 2019 World Championship of RoboCup-Small Size League
· The 46th, 45th, 44th International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva, Gold Medal with the Congratulations of the Jury
· World Championship of the International Aerial Robotics Competition, for Mission 7, from 2014 - 2018
Over 80% of our graduates pursued postgraduate study either here at ZJU or aboard. Our graduates are globally competitive and prepared to undertake advanced technical and managerial work in different fields and industries, ranging from project engineers, systems and control engineers, to computer systems integrators.
List of Postgraduate Schools/Employers of Recent Graduates in Automation
· California Institute of Technology
· Carnegie Mellon University
· Columbia University
· Harvard University
· Stanford University
· University of California, Berkeley
· University of Cambridge
· University of Oxford
· Yale University
· Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.
· China Mobile Ltd.
· Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
· United Technologies Corporation
6. Tuition & Expenses
Tuition: RMB 80,000 per Academic Year
Accommodation: RMB 8,000 per year for the first 3 years at Haining Campus. RMB 40-60 per day (depending on room types, double room or single room) for the 4th year at Yuquan Campus.
Living Expenses: Approximately RMB 15, 000 per year
The applicants with academic excellence and self-confidence will have a good opportunity to be granted scholarships:
· Full-scholarship: RMB 80,000 per Academic Year
· Half-scholarship: RMB 40,000 per Academic Year
Each scholarship will be reviewed annually and renewed up to four academic years on the conditions that the student meets requirements for satisfactory progress toward the degrees and follows the rules of Zhejiang University.
8. Student Message
· I’m Yee Chan Yang from Malaysia. I was enrolled in Bachelor of Automation in Zhejiang University in 2017. Zhejiang University is one of the top universities in China, I can feel that professors here are really distinguished scholars. Learning atmosphere here is really excellent but also competitive, because all of the students here were top-students in the national entrance examination of China. My Chinese classmates are always willing to explain the questions for me. While China is a developing country, technology in Hangzhou has been highly developed. So, Zhejiang University is a good choice if you want to major in science and technology.
-- YEE CHAN YANG (Malaysian)
2017 Automation Undergraduate Student
· I have been admitted as an international undergraduate student in Automation starting September 2018. I am fully satisfactory about my life and study at Zhejiang University and the CSE. Different from cosmopolitan city such as Beijing and Shanghai, Hangzhou is much more pretty with wonderful natural scenery and air quality. The living expenses are reasonable in Hangzhou and the public transportation is convenient around campus. I look forward to my new development here.
-- LEE SUKHYUN (Korean)
2018 Automation Undergraduate Student
· Students here will experience the most cutting-edge technologies in the field of Automation; students here will find that they are surrounded by top scientific researchers, experts and entrepreneurs; students here can choose the most favorite learning track that matches their own interests best. Diverse academic salons, multiple cultural and sports activities make everyone's life rich and colorful. It is definitely a worthwhile experience to be an Automation undergraduate!
-- Hao ZHAO
2007 Automation Undergraduate Student
Winner of 2014 ZJU Top 10 Best Students
· The discipline of control science is inclusive. Students and faculty are free to express their ideas and thoughts; The CSE is progressive. Curriculum and class teaching are open to students' suggestions and comments. The sincere and inclusive understanding of each student is the most appealing character of the CSE! I strongly recommend that new students choose to study here if they are really interested in control science and engineering!
-- Linzhe LI
2013 Automation Undergraduate Student
· The most profound experience that the CSE and Automation brings to me is all-encompassing. Critical perception, proficient in calculation, skillful in decision-making and hardworking on subjects learning are all what I gained from my 4-year undergraduate study of Automation! That will definitely be of benefit to my future PhD studies at Stanford University. Because of the disciplinary diversity, students can find their own direction of in-depth exploration and learning. I very much treasure this intensive and diverse learning experience here!
-- Xianghao ZHAN
2015 Automation Undergraduate Student
Winner of 2018 ZJU Chu Kochen Scholarships
Phase I: Pre-application
· Fill out and submit the electronic pre-application form on https://csezju.jinshuju.com/f/25DldP by March 15th, 2020.
· The screening results of the pre-application will be released by March 30th, 2020. The shortlisted applicants will be notified about the following information:
a. Tuition waiver
b. Total cost of education
c. Detailed program curriculum
Phase II: Main Application
· The shortlisted applicants need to submit completed application on Zhejiang University Application & Admission System for International Students by April 30th , 2020.
· For details of online application, please refer to: http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/english/redir.php?catalog_id=43496.
Phase III: Confirmation of Acceptance
· Acceptance Letter
Applicants will be notified the final result by a mailed acceptance letter. Please note that the university may send conditional acceptance to students whose high school results are pending.
· Enrollment Deposit
Once the applicant receives the final acceptance letter, he/she needs to pay for the first-year tuition fee as stated on the acceptance letter to reserve admission. If the applicant fails to do so, his/her admission will be withdrew. If the applicant fails to register on time, or quit schooling after registration for any personal reasons, the pre-paid tuition fee will NOT be refunded.
10. Contact Us
Ms. Yingfeng XIE
Undergraduate Academic Office, College of Control Science and Engineering, Yuquan Campus, Zhejiang University
Ms. Jing WANG
International Relations Office, College of Control Science and Engineering, Yuquan Campus, Zhejiang University
For further information, please refer to:
CSE Homepage http://www.cse.zju.edu.cn/english/
Find us on social media (Chinese, WeChat platform):
College of Control Science and Engineering
38 Zheda Rd.(Yuquan Campus)
Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310027, P. R. China
Copyright ©2018 College of Control Science and Engineering, Zhejiang
University. All rights reserved.