ZJU International Undergraduate Program in Automation
1. Program Overview
Zhejiang University (ZJU) is one of China’s top higher education institutions, as well as one of its oldest. Laying claim to several areas of research strength, ZJU currently ranks 42th in the QS World University Rankings, 11th in the US NEWS Best Global Universities for Engineering, and 19th in the Global Ranking of Academic Subjects-Automation & Control of the Shanghai Ranking.
Photo credit: NI Yingjie
Zhejiang University is located in Hangzhou, the capital of East China's Zhejiang province, about 110 miles southwest of Shanghai. One of the birthplaces of Chinese civilization and ranking among the seven ancient capitals in China, Hangzhou is home to three world cultural heritage sites, namely West Lake, the Grand Canal, and the Archaeological Ruins of Liangzhu City. Hangzhou today is a historical and cultural city full of innovation vigor. It is now an emerging technology hub and home to the headquarters of Alibaba, Net-Ease, Geely, Hikvision and thousands of technology enterprises. It successfully hosted the G20 Summit in 2016, and it will also host the 2022 Asian Games. To explore Hangzhou city, please visit http://www.ehangzhou.gov.cn/
Photo credit: trip.com/CGTN
The history of the College of Control Science and Engineering (CSE) of ZJU can be traced back to 1956. For more than 60 years, CSE has been focusing on basic research and original innovation, aiming for the frontiers of science and technology, and serving the country’s strategic needs. It has formed an Innovation Value Chain of “Basic scientific research – Technological innovation – Application of advances in science and technology – Commercialization”. The college’s scientific and technological achievements have been awarded 16 prizes of the State Science and Technology Award and 6 prizes of other national level awards.
Currently, CSE is one of the most prestigious research and education bases in the area of industrial process control in China. In 2017, CSE was selected for the national Double First-class Initiative and rated A+ (Top 3) in the Chinese University Disciplines Assessment.
CSE has a total of 102 full-time faculty members with 57 full professors and research fellows in the broad area of Automation, more than 500 registered undergraduate students and 700 Master’s and PhD students, more than 30 among whom are international students.
Photo credit: Science Robotics/PNAS/Nature Communication
The CSE’s core areas of research include:
Industrial Intelligence and Optimization Control
Industrial Big Data, Knowledge Automation, Large-scale System Optimization, Distributed
Coordinated Control, Intelligent Manufacturing, Smart Factory, etc.
Robotics and Intelligent Unmanned Systems
Perception, Planning, Control, Coordination, Learning and Decision, etc.
Cyber Security and Safety for Industrial Control Systems
Cyber Security, Industrial Internet Security, Networking Security, Intrusion Detection and Evaluation, Security Protection and Defense, Fault Diagnosis and Health Management, Safety Management & Assessment, Industrial Safety & Security Protocol, Cryptography and Security Algorithms, etc.
Smart Sensing and Measurement
Intelligent Perception, Biology Perception, Intelligence Evaluation and Early Warning, Highly Adaptable Optical Detection, High-precision Microfluidic Analysis, Micro-nano Detection Technology and Instrument, Quantum Perception, Quantum Computing and Measurement and Control, etc.
CSE also houses several national and international research labs and centers.
· Institute of Industrial Process Control
· Institute for Smart Sensing and Measurement
· Institute of Cyber-Systems and Control
· Institute of Industrial Intelligence and Systems Engineering
· Institute of Control Equipment and Comprehensive Safety
National Research Labs/Centers
· State Key Laboratory of Industrial Control Technology
· National Engineering Research Center of Industrial Automation
· National Engineering Laboratory for Security Technology of Industrial Control System
· National Center for International Research - Quality-targeted Process Optimization and Control
Overseas Academician Joint Labs
· Control and System Security
· Intelligent Robotics
2. Program Characteristics
The Undergraduate Program in Automation adopts “3+1” mode. Students will spend first three years of study at International Campus, Haining, and final year study at Yuquan Campus, Hangzhou.
The ZJU International Campus in Haining has adopted a model of creating Joint Institutes with partner universities, and Joint Institutes have already been successfully established with the University of Edinburgh and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (ZJU-UoE and ZJU-UIUC Institutes) and Imperial College London (ZJU-Imperial Joint Lab for Applied Data Science). Haining is a county-level city in Zhejiang Province, and under the jurisdiction of Jiaxing. It is 61.5 km to the east of Hangzhou.
This program encourages students to develop broad outlooks and allows them to take courses in related technical fields, such as Sensor and Instrumentation, Big Data Security and Privacy Preserving, Computer Systems Engineering, Data Structure, Computer Security, Artificial Intelligence, or Introduction to Robotics. This program also allows students to take a combination of courses that lead to specialization options in Control Science and Engineering, Big Data and Artificial Intelligence or Robotics and Intelligent Manufacturing. The program provides rich resources for students through the International Joint Research Center, global top tertiary institutions/partners, and distinguished faculty with overseas experiences.
Student learning is supplemented by a variety of laboratory training and scientific projects. Students will also be able to develop scientific research and problem-solving skills through the final-year project under the guidance of eminent supervisors. Seminars, industrial visits, and overseas study tours are also available to broaden students' horizons. A plenty of academic pathways and opportunities will be provided to students, leading them to pursue further studies in worldwide top universities or continue their studies in ZJU.
3. Program Aims & Learning Outcomes
This program is an ideal choice for those who wish to pursue studies in Industrial Automation, System Control, and Robotics. It addresses latest technologies and their applications in control science and engineering, enabling students to explore new technological innovations.
Students are expected to acquire:
· consolidated fundamental theory, specialized knowledge and technology in automation and related fields;
· ability to propose questions and solve problems in automation and related fields;
· ability to track and develop new theory, knowledge and technologies in automation and related fields;
· ability to conduct interdisciplinary and innovative research in automation and related fields;
· ability to work independently and a lifelong learning mindset;
· Effective communication and teamwork skills;
· global vision and international competitiveness.
This program curriculum is sophistically designed in terms of courses, laboratory and research trainings and internships. All the courses are instructed in English (Chinese language courses are excluded).
The 4-year curriculum focuses on principles and methods for designing and controlling engineered and natural systems, covering all the major aspects of control engineering, systems modeling and simulation, with applications ranging from classical control system design to optimal adaptive and intelligent control systems. It also emphasizes the multidisciplinary character of the field and specific areas of interest including automation technology, instrument technology, information technology, computer technology and robotic technology.
Students complete the first year of fundamental studies within the broadening engineering discipline, with a focus on underpinning subjects (such as Science and Mathematics), Languages (English Composition and Chinese Language), and General Education Electives. The Chinese language courses and the course of Survey of China include basic linguistics, Chinese modern history, social development, government policies, etc., which not only help international students to get familiar with Chinese society in a short time but also prepare them for future endeavors in China after graduation.
Curriculum focuses on the fundamentals of engineering. A series of Technical Core and Elective subjects are involved at this stage, including System Modeling and Simulation, Computer System & Programming, Analog Signal Processing, Discrete Structure and Data Structure.
Curriculum attaches great importance to compulsory core subjects in Automation, Control Science and Labs. The focus is on consolidating the fundamentals, teamwork, and laboratory experiments.
Students take advanced Elective subjects and carry out final-year project at Yuquan campus. The final-year project provides a comprehensive learning experience in automation engineering technology, problem-solving techniques, and creative thinking skills. Depending on individual career aspirations and specialization, students can choose from a list of electives and project topics to complement their knowledge in various areas of automatic engineering.
List of Specialized Technical Core/Elective Courses*
· Lectures on Frontier Automation
· Introduction to Automation
· Principles of Automatic Control
· System Modeling and Simulation
· Process Control
· Stochastic Control System
· Sensor and Instrumentation
· Location Technology and Spatial Information Mining
· Big Data Security and Privacy Preserving
· Computer Systems Engineering
· Data Structure
· Computer Security
· Artificial Intelligence
· Introduction to Robotics
* May vary according to availability.
5. Recognition & Prospects
List of International Competition Rewards Received by Automation Undergraduates
· 2013, 2014, 2018, 2019 World Championship of RoboCup-Small Size League
· The 44th, 45th, 46th International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva, Gold Medal with the Congratulations of the Jury
· World Championship of the International Aerial Robotics Competition, for Mission 7, from 2014 – 2018
Photo credit: CSE
Over 80% of our graduates pursued further studies either here at ZJU or abroad. Our graduates are globally competitive and prepared to undertake advanced technical and managerial work in different fields and industries, ranging from project engineers, systems, and control engineers, to computer systems integrators.
List of the Destinations of Recent Graduates in Automation:
· California Institute of Technology
· Carnegie Mellon University
· Columbia University
· Harvard University
· Stanford University
· University of California, Berkeley
· University of Cambridge
· University of Oxford
· Yale University
· Air Liquide
· Alibaba Group
· China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation
· China Electronics Technology Group
· China Mobile
· Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China
· Huawei Technologies
· ROYAL PHILIPS
· United Technologies Corporation
6. Tuition & Expenses
Tuition: RMB 80,000 per Academic Year
Accommodation: RMB 8,000 per academic year for the first 3 years at Haining Campus. RMB 18,000-30,000 per academic year per room (depending on room types) for the 4th year at Yuquan Campus.
The applicants with academic excellence and self-confidence will have a good opportunity to be granted scholarships:
· Full-scholarship: RMB 80,000 per Academic Year
· Half-scholarship: RMB 40,000 per Academic Year
Each scholarship will be reviewed annually and renewed up to four academic years on the conditions that the student meets requirements for satisfactory progress toward the degrees and follows the rules of Zhejiang University.
8. Student Message
· I am Monish Mithra Waran Maheswaran from Malaysia, Automations Class of 2025, College of Control Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University. The greatest distinguisher between a good education and a mediocre one is not in what we learn but how we learn. My experience here thus far is one of exploration. Our curriculum, staff, and various organizations within our institution challenges us on all fronts, forcing us to explore and find our own ways, albeit providing us ample guidance to improve our learning efficacy. This is a learning experience whereby it is both difficult yet rewarding. As we learn, we discover exciting applications for our knowledge, pairing that with the opportunities for research and collaboration by our professors and among the research community worldwide, even as a freshman, you feel that your voice is heard, and that you can make a difference. If this is the experience that you’re looking for, then this is the place to be.
-- Monish Mithra Waran Maheswaran (Malaysian)
2021 International Undergraduate Program in Automation Student
Winner of 2021 ZJU Full Scholarship
· I am Naruesorn Dechnorachai, an undergraduate student of CSE's International Automation program from Thailand admitted in 2020. With the introduction of the Covid-19 pandemic, I was temporarily unable to attend the classes on the campus, so I have to join the classes online from my country instead. However, the school is trying their best to provide me with the best educational experience and I am impressed with the result. Furthermore, most of the professors here graduated from various prestigious universities across the world like Tsinghua University, NTU and even MIT! Definitely, the education here is world's class as well as one of the best engineering programs in China so far. Hence, I am looking forward to my engineering journey here!
-- NARUESORN DECHNORACHAI (Thai)
2020 International Undergraduate Program in Automation Student
Winner of 2020 ZJU Half Scholarship
· I’m Yee Chan Yang from Malaysia. I was enrolled in Bachelor of Automation in Zhejiang University in 2017. Zhejiang University is one of the top universities in China, I can feel that professors here are really distinguished scholars. Learning atmosphere here is really excellent but also competitive, because all of the students here were top-students in the national entrance examination of China. My Chinese classmates are always willing to explain the questions for me. While China is a developing country, technology in Hangzhou has been highly developed. So, Zhejiang University is a good choice if you want to major in science and technology.
-- YEE CHAN YANG (Malaysian)
2017 Automation Undergraduate Student
· I have been admitted as an international undergraduate student in Automation starting September 2018. I am fully satisfactory about my life and study at Zhejiang University and the CSE. Different from cosmopolitan city such as Beijing and Shanghai, Hangzhou is much more pretty with wonderful natural scenery and air quality. The living expenses are reasonable in Hangzhou and the public transportation is convenient around campus. I look forward to my new development here.
-- LEE SUKHYUN (Korean)
2018 Automation Undergraduate Student
· The most profound experience that the CSE and Automation brings to me is all-encompassing. Critical perception, proficient in calculation, skillful in decision-making and hardworking on subjects learning are all what I gained from my 4-year undergraduate study of Automation! That will definitely be of benefit to my future PhD studies at Stanford University. Because of the disciplinary diversity, students can find their own direction of in-depth exploration and learning. I very much treasure this intensive and diverse learning experience here!
-- ZHAN Xianghao
2015 Automation Undergraduate Student
Winner of 2018 ZJU Chu Kochen Scholarships
Application Season: From now on to Feburary 28, 2023.
Please make sure to complete the online application before the deadline.
All the applicants must log into the Online Application System for International Students of Zhejiang University (Link), submit all the necessary application documents strictly as required and pay the application fee.
For details of Applicants Eligibility, Application, Selection Process and Admission,
please refer to the Admission Bulletin (2023): http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/admissions/2022/1021/c68487a2649847/page.htm
10. Contact Us
Ms. SHAO Danlei
International Relations Office, College of Control Science and Engineering, Yuquan Campus, Zhejiang University
Ms. XIE Yingfeng
Undergraduate Academic Office, College of Control Science and Engineering, Yuquan Campus, Zhejiang University
For further information, please refer to:
CSE Homepage http://www.cse.zju.edu.cn/english/
Follow us on social media:
WeChat (in Chinese)
College of Control Science and Engineering
38 Zheda Rd.(Yuquan Campus)
Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310027, P. R. China
Copyright ©2018 College of Control Science and Engineering,
Zhejiang University. All rights reserved.